Engaging with others is important for each and every one of us. It helps you stay healthy, whether it be talking about something that’s troubling you or just having a general chat, communication is valid in achieving a better mental state.
Some people don’t like to talk too much but it can still be helpful for everyone. It’s worth making an effort to talk about what’s going on with you with someone.
Why it matters?
- It is scientifically proven that the company of good friends reduced stress in life.
- Social connections provide an increased feeling of belonging, purpose, happiness, self- worth and confidence.
- People with strong and broad social relationships tend to be happier, healthier and live longer.
- Research shows that the happiness of a close contact increases the chance of being happy by 15%.
- If you are going through a hard time, reaching out for help decreases the chances of developing depression and anxiety.
Steps to take
Reach out and speak to a team member, friend or family member that you haven’t spoken to for a while, a simple "how are you?" is all it takes to start a conversation.
- Pay attention – give your undivided attention, get eye contact, limited the opportunity for distractions, turn off phones.
- Show you are listening – smile and use facial expressions, nod occasionally. Make sure your posture is open. Ask questions for further clarity.
- Provide feedback – Reflect on what is being said and summarize the speakers comments periodically.
If you need to speak to someone, please reach out and ask for support, you can contact your line manager or one of the HR team members. If you think you need more support or a team member needs more support than we can offer, please advise them to contact a doctor or medical professional.
If you require further support, please visit wearemenzies.com/wellbeing or speak to your line manager or your HR representative.